MENU

History

View a timeline of our golf club’s history

Our History

FROM 1904, TO THE PRESENT DAY

Golf has been played at Pontefract & District Golf Club for over 100 years with the club being founded in 1904.

The earliest golf played at the club was over nine holes with land obtained from the local park, before moving to another set of nine holes on adjourning land owned by the Duchy of Lancaster, which the club leased.

Drawings courtesy of Dr. Alastair McKenzie, the famous designer behind Augusta National, Cypress Point and Royal Melbourne to name a few, were used when the club eventually switched to an 18-hole golf course.

Below you will find a timeline of our golf club’s history.

1904

Pontefract & District Golf Club’s founding members create nine hole golf course on land belonging to the local park.

1920s

In the early 1920s a completely new course was laid out on adjourning land, leased from the Duchy of Lancaster.

1930s

A decade later, the course was extended from nine to 18 holes based on a layout drawn by Dr Alastair McKenzie, the famous designer of Augusta National, who was born locally.

1985

Members of Pontefract & District Golf Club purchased the land from the Duchy in 1985.

2004

The golf club celebrates its centenary anniversary.